I am honored to be nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by the awesome Part Time Monster. There is so much good karma and support in the blogging world. This has been a a surprising and pleasant side effect of my indulgence in something I love to do. I have found so many blogs that are interesting, stimulating and inspiring. I learn from these other writers each time I read their blogs. Part of the process with an award like this is to point you in the direction of some of those blogs that I enjoy with the hope that you’ll take a few minutes to check them out and maybe find some you like as well! I am also required to tell you 7 things about myself. I am going to tell you seven completely random, useless tidbits because why not:
- If I could be a famous singer, it would be Stevie Nicks. Amazing voice, great songwriter, cool boho style.
- If I couldn’t be Stevie Nicks I would be Janis Joplin, without the heavy drugs and early death. Girl could wail the blues like no one else. And the time period of which she was a part was one of the most exciting eras in rock music.
- O.K., maybe Sheryl Crow. She dated Eric Clapton.
- I enjoy cooking- but only when I have ample time, can play some good music and relax while doing it. Most nights I’m rushing to get a healthy meal prepared before we are out the door to swim practice… or rushing through Chick Fil A drive through. Anyways, the point is I actually like cooking when all the stars are aligned and I’m not under any time constraints.
- I saw a U.F.O. once. I know what you’re thinking, but I really did. And it was crazy. I was with a friend on a road trip to the mountains and we both saw it. That proves it was real.
- I love watching movies, that is usually our at-home date night. Some wine or bourbon, some cheese and crackers and a good movie after the kids are in bed. Some of my favorites are: Pirate Radio, Charlie Wilson’s War, The Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, Old School, Mr. Holland’s Opus, Love Actually, Airplane, High Fidelity, Inglorious Bastards, Gangs of New York, Basketball Diaries, Something’s Gotta Give, Pride and Prejudice, anything with George Clooney, and Fantastic Mr. Fox (THE best kid’s movie. And also George Clooney.) There are many, many more but I have to stop at some point.
- I’m kind of cheap. And I tend to advertise it. I repurpose old things with spray paint, I buy most of my clothes and shoes on sale (T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, etc.). At one of my husband’s swanky formal events I told everyone who complimented my dress that I bought it for $19. All while trying to hide my botched D.I.Y. manicure.
So now, the blogs I nominate for this award:
Congratulations and thanks for recommending the blogs you nominated. I’ve found some that I really like and am now following.
Thank you so much! And I’m glad you like some of these blogs that I mentioned! That literally makes my day!
Well I was already to Congratulate you when you shocked me! Before seeing my dubious moniker I wanted to thank you for adding to the positive aspects of blogging with your inspirational posts, so Congratulations and Thank You!
And, if you an object “flying” and it was “unidentified” then viola! You saw a U.F.O. and I believe you.
Thank you so much for that! I was thrilled to nominate you. Even though I’ve only been following you for a short time, I think you are a great writer and I’ve been enjoying your blog! And yes, it technically was a U.F.O. but also I’m pretty sure it was the kind with alien life forms… that’s just more fun than the alternative!
I did not know you nominated me for this! I’m honored – many thanks!
I’m checking out your blog, and I see we have lots in common – Music. Music. Music. Also, I’m a movie fanatic. And I love to cook, and I have a kid. And did I mention Music?
I’m looking forward to getting to know you better. Hey – do you still have a little one? Like, 5 years old? Cause “They Might Be Giants” have these kick-ass CDs that are for kids, but they rock out so the adults can tolerate them! .And they’re educational. But something tells me, you already know about them…
Hi! I tried to leave a comment on your blog the day I did the nominations and for some reason I was having trouble and couldn’t notify you. (I’m not the most technically proficient, I don’t know what the problem was!). Anyways, I think I found your blog via twitter and I was blown away by it… and I love music and really wish I had spent my youth being a groupie. I wasn’t brave enough or cool enough so I resigned myself to trying to make a few concerts once in a while! My youngest is actually almost 5 years old. But I’m a slacker mom and have never even tried to play music that would educate her. I’m awful. I had heard that They Might Be Giants did some cool stuff for kids but never really looked into it. I might have to check it out, it’ll make me feel like I haven’t totally failed with her. The reality is she’s pretty much raising herself!!! I rationalize it by saying she’ll be more independent than my older children! Anyways, I’m really glad I stumbled upon your blog and I too look forward to getting to know you. I love “meeting” talented writers!
Hell, my 10 year old is practically raising himself! I’m not quite sure I feel like making his lunch every day – he has hands, he can make a sandwich and put it in a bag!
Psst! They Might Be Giants is for US to listen to in the car cause it’s great music – but yes, the CDs teach the ABCs, numbers, science – all that good stuff. It’s a win-win! The DVDs are cool, too.
I want to tell you how surprised I was to see your comment! Thank you so much for nominating me for this award. It means more than you think. Your 7 things were funny, especially the UFO part. Did you get to take any photos?!
You are the second person I know who like the movie, Gangs of New York. My brother loves that movie. I think it speaks to his imagination since he is the only boy in a family of 6 children.
Thank you again for the nomination.